Dog survey for Teignbridge residents
One of our top priorities at Teignbridge is keeping our district clean, and we know dog fouling is an issue Teignbridge residents feel strongly about. We are reviewing our power under the Public Space Protection Order (PSPO) that will help us continue to enforce dog fouling and control other issues across the district.
The PSPO helps the council deal with the few irresponsible dog owners who don’t clear up after their dog or control it. For the many responsible dog owners who pick up after their dog wherever they go, nothing will change. Inconsiderate dog owners will continue to be targeted through awareness and enforcement. Registered blind people and assistance dog users will be exempt.
The order currently requires:
• Dog walkers to pick up after their dog and carry a bag or other means of cleaning up after their dog has fouled at all times.
• Dogs will not be allowed in defined dog exclusion areas (e.g. beaches during April to the end of September, children’s play park excluding assistance dogs).
• Dogs will be required to be kept on leads next to roads.
• For authorised officers to have the power to immediately request dogs are placed on a lead.
• To restrict the number of dogs that can be walked by a single individual, on and off the lead.
• Dog walkers to control their dogs when in public places
Our aim is to promote responsible dog ownership and care for our local areas, keeping them safe and accessible for all.
Before we review the current PSPO, we want to hear your views. Please take part in this survey at Dog PSPO - Teignbridge District Council
The survey will run until the till 3rd September. During that time, we will promote this as much as possible to capture the views and opinions of Teignbridge residents, including dog owners, dog walkers, and local businesses.
Thank you for your support and we look forward to hearing your views.